28 April 2015

Writing prompt 64

I don't post writing prompts as regularly as I used to, but this on popped into my head yesterday and I thought I'd share it with you. My mind takes it in the direction of a horror story, but if you manage to write something *other* than a horror story/poem out of it, I'd love to hear about it!


Prompt
When you come across a severed body part for the first time, you tend to doubt what you're seeing.


Here's as far as I got with it yesterday:
When you come across a severed body part for the first time, you tend to doubt what you're seeing. At least, I did. Acceptance comes slowly when we see a thing divorced from its usual context, in this case, the rest of a body. Your eyes keep retracing the object, mind scrambling to make meaning of it. But again and again it draws the same inevitable conclusion: This is a human hand. Or toe. Or foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment